Team Capsules: Tampa Bay Buccaneers
August 18, 2023
A look at every NFL franchise heading into the 2023 season
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers won the Super Bowl in 2021. But that was when they had Tom Brady, the greatest quarterback to ever live.
Now, they have to pick between either Baker Mayfield or Kyle Trask to be the starter. Nothing against either guy, but they aren’t Tom Brady.
The Buccaneers currently have the third-worst odds to win the Super Bowl at +10000. Needless to say, they are likely to be one of the NFL’s worst teams this year as most opposing squads are chalking the game up to be a win.
But while Tampa Bay may be a bad team in 2023, there are still some wagers worth considering. So, let’s take a look.
What to like about the Bucs…
- The 6.0-win total that is currently set for Tampa Bay is simply that high because of the talent at certain positions. At wide receiver, offensive line, linebacker and in the secondary, the Buccaneers have a Super Bowl roster that is capable of winning games on its own. But the NFL is a QB- dependent league and the Buccaneers have possibly the worst QB room at the moment.
- Baker Mayfield to lead the league in passing yards in 2023 is a long shot at +10000, but it’s a fun bet. Mayfield will be quarterbacking a team that will likely be behind for the majority of the game. When teams are behind, they resort to the passing game. With Mike Evans and Chris Godwin, it wouldn’t be shocking if Mayfield makes the leaderboard for passing yards.
- At -550, the Bucs not making the playoffs isn’t going to pay much. But it is almost a guaranteed win. So this is the route if value isn’t a priority. With a 6.0-win total, a new quarterback and not many draft picks, it’s hard to see the Buccaneers going far.
What not to like about the Bucs…
- The Buccaneers are +10000 to win the Super Bowl for a reason. It is a longshot. But almost too big of a longshot. Does anyone really think Baker Mayfield and company are going to beat out Jalen Hurts and the Eagles? Or Kyle Shanahan’s 49ers. Sorry, but it’s not happening.
- In the NFL, the MVP award usually goes to a QB. Rightfully so, as it is by far the most-important position in football. Every once in a while, a different position will win the award, but it’s highly unlikely. Mayfield has the best odds to win the award of any Buccaneers player at +15000. He is tied with the likes of Derrick Henry and Tyreek Hill, behind Christian McCaffrey and Justin Jefferson. So, it’s more likely for a different position to win the award than for any Buccaneer.
- Diehard Bucs fans, this is for you. The temptation to bet on a Buccaneers defensive player to win this award may be on your mind. But don’t bet it. Lavonte David and Shaquille Barrett are both +20000 odds. And with Micah Parsons, Aaron Donald and Nick Bosa in the mix, it’s just not worth your money.
Steve Quinne’s Pick: Buccaneers under 6.0 wins in 2023 (+120)
The best bet to make on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for the 2023 season is for them to be under 6.0 wins. They will most likely be a struggling team with a fairly new head coach and a brand-new QB. Tom Brady led the team to just eight wins last season, so it seems almost impossible for Mayfield or Trask to lead them to seven.